Like many animals, rabbits love to run on the grass and breathe fresh air. Great is the temptation to set your mammal outside but you are afraid for her health and his safety. Our advice is to guarantee your move in total peace of mind.
Can a pet rabbit live outside?
Yes, a pet rabbit can live outside. whole year. In addition, even if you live in an apartment, you can bring it to balcony provided, of course, to secure the site. If you have gardenyour rabbit will be delighted to find it, but again, you will have to take precautionary measures to ensure its good health (with respect to the vagaries of the weather) and its safety from possible predators. Outdoor living will awaken his senses and bring incomparable well-being both in terms of physical than mental.
Can a rabbit tolerate cold and heat?
You should know that rabbits suffer more from heat than cold, because nature is well arranged, he eats more to save fat and his Coat thickens with the onset of winter. However, this process only starts if acclimatization progress has been made. Therefore, it is out of the question to brutally install an animal on the street in October. It needs to be taken out as soon as possible. Spring so that his body becomes accustomed to the fluctuations in temperature which accompany the seasons. Despite the fragile appearance, the rabbit proves to be a tenacious but old young man (up to 6 months old), sick or pregnant women should preferably stay indoors.
What is the habitat for an outdoor rabbit?
If your rabbit is sitting outside,fencing remains the best option to avoid constant monitoring. Ideally, you need 6 m.2 for two persons. Some hiding places will please them because they will feel safety. Trade offers metal or wooden cases. A roof made of shingles, cement or plywood is ideal if it is resistant to rain. On the other hand, it will be necessary to avoid sheet metal that is too cold in winter and too hot in summer. Then we’ll talk about the completion of the rabbit house cell what will you connect in an aviary, so that the animal lives as it pleases. Don’t forget to cover it protective mesh to avoid the invasion of nocturnal predators: foxes, martens and other weasels.
How to protect a rabbit all year round?
The location and layout of its fence must match the pace seasons.
- In hot weather, place your rabbit’s habitat in a place shady or use a roof to provide shade (keep in mind that the sun area shifts during the day). Make sure his house stays in order air. In case of extreme heat, you can freeze water bottles and bury them in straw on the ground. The rabbit will be able to cool down. Also remember to renew your water bowl daily;
- With the onset of autumn, it is strongly recommended not to leave the soil without backing. Consideration will need to be given to protecting his enclosure, for example by adding bedding to support i.joy (layer of straw and/or alfalfa…). You can also cover the floor and walls with newspapers;
- In winter, it will be wise to fill your house Straw in which he can burrow to keep warm. night, you can cover his shelter with a tarp or blanket. The goal is to reduce Air currents and retain heat, while providing good ventilation;
- Extreme temperatures can cause stress and breathing problems in rabbits. To help him complete this course, there is a mini radiators should be installed next to his cage, making sure there is no access to the electrical cable. There are also heating mats, but you can also put them in his bedding. hot water bottles filled with warm water and tightly closed. Also, check if his water is frozen and feed him more to provide him with the energy he needs to resist the cold;
- To cope with bad weather, you need to fix awning and position the opening of the cage with its back to the prevailing winds. L’humidity the soil is a carrier of the disease, check also that the bowl of water is not knocked over. We remind you that a pet rabbit can die from fear. So during severe storms (and also in case of heavy rain or snow) feel free to repatriate your animal to the location. protected veranda, garage or basement type.
Can we let our rabbit out in the garden?
To completely quench your thirst freedom, you can invite your rabbit to have fun in the grass of your garden. This happiness will be possible only if your land is perfect fencing walls, preventing him from escaping. Another danger lies in the presence of plants, which may be toxic. Among the most common are ivy, wisteria, boxwood, holly, yew, rhododendron, oleander, lily of the valley, narcissus, lily, tulip, peony, carnation, poppy … According to amount ingestion of these plants can cause more or less severe poisoning, ranging from sudden death to temporary diarrhea. Freedom, yes, but controlled.