10 Toxic and Dangerous Foods for Rabbits

The rabbit is one of the most popular pets after dogs and cats. Both adorable and playful, rabbits are equally loved by children and their parents. However, the rabbit is a rodent and does its job well, as it gnaws on everything it finds. This habit is due to the fact that he needs to constantly keep his teeth in working condition. What can you feed a rabbit? What foods should be avoided? Answers!

Rabbit food

Like any animal, rabbits have certain dietary needs. This herbivore feeds on hay, plants, herbs, leaves, flowers, or even buds. Although it is a rodent, the rabbit does not eat seeds. He needs phosphorus, magnesium and calcium.

Very nutritious, most of the diet consists of hay, consisting of meadow hay from grasses and legumes. Alfalfa hay is recommended for young rabbits as it contains all the nutrients they need to grow. In addition to hay, you can give your rabbit fresh grass. Finally, granules can sometimes supplement meals. You should be aware that not all foods are good for a rabbit. Some of them are poisonous and potentially dangerous.

10 dangerous foods for rabbits

1. Chocolate

Chocolate is a food we love, but it’s also very dangerous for pets. It should not be given to dogs, cats or even rabbits. Why ? Because chocolate, and therefore cocoa-based products, contain a toxic substance called theobromine.

2. Sweets

If you have children, vigilance is required. Indeed, kids love to give sweets to their pets. But rabbits cannot eat cakes, sweets, and even pastries. These delicacies are poisonous to them. They are high in sugar, which can lead to disruption of the intestinal flora. Too much sugar even causes infections that can be fatal.

3. Tea and coffee

We assure you, it is not customary to give tea or coffee to a rabbit, fortunately. These drinks, which we enjoy at breakfast and throughout the day, are dangerous for rabbits. Both caffeine and caffeine harm your rodent’s digestive system. Prioritize water! To be healthy, rabbits should drink between 50 and 150 ml per kg per day.

4. Dairy products

Whether it’s milk, cheese, or yogurt, rabbits don’t eat dairy products. They are highly toxic and can cause serious rheumatoid lesions and digestive disorders.

5. Vegetables

A rabbit can eat vegetables such as carrots, celery, zucchini, lettuce, or even radishes. But not all vegetables are good for our rodents. Here are some examples.

  • The turnip is indigestible, the rabbit can eat the leaves but not the bulb.
  • Leeks, like mushrooms, cause anemia by lowering red blood cells.
  • Peas are dangerous for the liver of a rabbit.
  • Garlic and onions cause intoxication and anemia.
  • Cabbage causes bloating and indigestion.

6. Potato

Potatoes are not recommended for rabbits due to their high starch content. They may even be poisonous. Like sweet potatoes, they cause serious digestive upsets. Germs can even be deadly to rabbits.

7. Fruit

You can give your rabbit pieces of apple, pear, or even apricot, but be careful! The animal does not support too much sugar. Also, you should avoid very ripe fruits or even bananas. Rhubarb and avocado should also be avoided because they contain toxins that will have serious consequences for your animal’s health.

8. Corn

Corn too rich in carbohydrates cannot be included in the diet of a rabbit. Eating too much is even fatal. After all, in addition to the fact that it causes liver and digestive disorders, corn wanders in the stomach of a rabbit.

9. Green plants

It is quite possible to give a rabbit fresh grass or fragrant herbs. This one loves parsley, green onions and even basil. But be careful! Laurel, fern, ivy, or even certain flowers such as lily of the valley and poppy should be avoided. Pay special attention to your indoor plants!

10. Wheat

You might think that the rabbit is enjoying a piece of bread. But it’s not. The herbivorous rodent does not support wheat. Therefore, he is forbidden to give crackers, cereals or, more simply, dry bread.

How to recognize food poisoning in rabbits?

Because he was walking in your house or because your child gave him this, your rabbit has eaten dangerous or poisonous food. Some signs are unmistakable. Here are the ones that should alert you.

  • loss of balance
  • Diarrhea
  • muscle contractions
  • convulsions,
  • Lethargy

How to react? You just have to immediately take your pet to the veterinarian so that he examines him and tries to save him. The faster the treatment, the higher the chances of survival.

Indeed, depending on the food eaten, a rabbit can suffer from poisoning, liver failure, lung problems, heart problems, or even nerve problems. It should be noted that if your rabbit’s condition is too serious, the veterinarian will suggest that you euthanize the animal. The same is true if the consequences are too important. Therefore, it is important to carefully monitor your diet!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.